Career options after 12th science PCB most students ignore
So he opted for the medical stream because he liked to study biology, but now all he hears around him is 'medical' and 'medical coaching', which is not something you can imagine doing a career in. Or maybe, you haven't been able to pass the NEET exam, despite trying your best, and now you are apprehensive about your future. For all of you living under the misconception that Career options after 12th science PCB start after twelfth and end in "medicine", it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.
Biology is one of those scientific subjects that arouses everyone's interest. Knowing the human anatomy, the structure and functions of our brain, digestive system, cells, reproductive system, and genetics are interesting topics to read. Therefore, many students do Class 12 with PCB subjects (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) to get ample opportunities. However, the goal of becoming a doctor is the main reason behind the student's preference for biology. But in order to get into the MBBS courses, you surely have to pass the NEET exam and get a good score. For all the trainees living under the misconception that the scope for PCB students is limited, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.
Besides MBBS / BDS, there are many other career options you can pursue. If you have a scientific bent, you can opt for B.Sc. with Biotechnology, Microbiology or Biochemistry. If you are in a rush to get a job with a good starting salary, then B. Pharma, B. Sc. In Nursing, B. Sc. In Radiation Therapy, B. Sc. In Nutrition and Dietitian are the best options for you. And if you are the one who wants to get a taste of the thrill of studying the frontiers of science, then you can follow B.Sc. in Genetics, Bioinformatics, Medical Technology and Biomedical Sciences.
This article is part of our series on Career options after 12th science PCB with each transmission combination.
Career options for PCB students after 12, except medical
It is a well-established branch of biology that involves the study of plants, their structure, processes, growths, etc. Those in the field of Botany conduct research and observation to discover new species, study the interactions of plants with different organisms in their environment, genetic formation of plants, etc.
- Career opportunities: With a degree in Botany, you can work in landscape industries, natural resource centers, environmental consultancies, or as a researcher, teacher / professor, taxonomist, horticulturist, nursery manager, and environmental consultant.
- Some of the best universities: University of Delhi (various universities), St. Xavier's College, Loyola College, St. Teresa's College, Stella Maris College, Fergusson College, Mount Carmel College, Christ University, Presidency College, St. Joseph's College
This exciting field involves the study of the animal kingdom. Zoologists analyze the structure, life processes, genetics, physiology, classification, and interactions of various species in detail by observing animals in their natural habitats and in laboratories.
- Career Opportunities: With a degree in Zoology, you can find work as a researcher, animal breeder, wildlife rehabilitator, wildlife biologist, zoo curator, conservationist, teacher / professor in schools and universities, etc.
- Some of the best universities: Xavier's College, Presidency College, St. Albert's College, Oxford College of Science, Delhi University (various universities), Loyola College, Christ University, Madras Christian College
It is the study of microscopic organisms such as bacteria, fungi, viruses, etc. and their interactions with humans, animals, plants, and other organisms in the environment. Microbiologists research and investigate how different microorganisms affect our lives. It consists of several subfields such as virology, bacteriology, parasitology, mycology, etc.
- Career Opportunities: Typical job opportunities include clinical researcher, research scientist, laboratory technician, quality control, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, food industries, breweries, distilleries, agriculture, etc.
- Some of the best universities: University of Delhi (various universities), Oxford College of Science, Madras Christian College, Fergusson College, Ethiraj College for Women, Osmania University, Panjab University
It is a branch of science that involves the study of chemical processes and substances that occur within living organisms. It is a laboratory-based science that bridges biology and chemistry, as biochemists solve biological problems through chemistry concepts. Examples of work include the improvement of the photosynthesis process to improve crop yield, the discovery and development of new chemical processes to produce biofuel, etc.
- Career Opportunities: Since it is a growing field, you can find numerous exciting opportunities as a biomedical scientist, forensic scientist, clinical laboratory technician, toxicologist, research scientist, health scientist, pharmaceutical sales representative, consultant, patient care coordinator, laboratory technician, doctor. Coder, teacher / professor, etc.
- Some of the best universities: University of Delhi (various universities), St. Xavier's College, Presidency University, Banaras Hindu University, Aligarh Muslim University, Fergusson College, Christian Medical College, The Oxford College of Science
Environmental science is an essential field in today's world, and involves the study of the physical, chemical, and biological components of the environment and their interactions. Environmental scientists research environmental problems like global warming, ozone depletion, waste management, water pollution, etc., and how these problems can be addressed.
- Career opportunities: Environmental scientists are hired for research and other functions in various industries, such as mines, water treatment plants, fertilizer plants, etc. and different government departments and agencies like forestry, pollution control board, agriculture, etc.
- Some of the best universities: University of Delhi (various universities), Fergusson College, Mount Carmel College.
You should note that Environmental Science as a specialization in India is mainly offered at the graduate level.
This interesting field involves the study of genes and their functions, genetic variations and inheritance of living organisms. Professionals in this field study genetic diseases, abnormalities, traits, mutations, how genes are transmitted, interactions of genes with their environment, etc. Geneticists can apply their knowledge to areas as diverse as the treatment of patients with genetic abnormalities, the development of pharmaceutical products.
- Career opportunities: Genetics related jobs include becoming a geneticist, immunologist, cytogeneticist, forensic DNA analyst, medical technologist, geneticist, pharmacologist, clinical research associate, research scientist, etc.
- Some of the best universities: The Oxford College of Science, Osmania University, Guru Nanak Dev University, Kurukshetra University, Bangalore City College, Institute of Genetic Engineering
However, there are not many excellent universities in India offering this stream in India so further your education abroad is preferred as there are better educational and career pathways for genetics.
This field combines biology, computer science, and information technology. Professionals in this field work on the development and use of tools and techniques to analyze biological data. For example, a bioinformatics professional could develop software to access and analyze data from biomedical and pharmaceutical studies.
- Career opportunities: You can work as a bioinformatics analyst or developer with pharmaceutical and biotech companies, healthcare organizations, pharmaceuticals, and research agencies after graduating in this field. You can also work as a clinical research associate, bioanalyst, or medical coder.
- Some Major Universities: The best institutions for this course offer specialization at the graduate level. Some of them include: Panjab University, Stella Maris College, Bangalore University, Mumbai University, Indian Institute of Medical Sciences, Savitribai Phule Pune University, Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology, University of Delhi, etc.
It is the study of the functions, activities and body mechanisms of living organisms, especially humans. Physiologists generally study a wide variety of topics including organs, anatomy, cells, biological compounds, and muscles, and how they interact and work together to keep the body functioning. Besides studying human physiology, there are other branches of the field, including plant physiology, cell physiology, microbial physiology, etc.
- Career Opportunities: Career opportunities in this field include working as a clinical practice physiologist, biomedical scientist, physical therapist, sports physiologist, researcher, teacher / professor, etc.
- Some of the best universities: Presidency College and Presidency University. Master's courses are offered by the University of Manipal, the University of Madras, and the University of Calcutta.
It is a field of knowledge that involves the study of marine organisms, including their behavior and interactions with the environment. Another career related to this is fisheries science. The field of marine biology is quite diverse, and there is no single job by the name of “marine biologist,” and this title can be held by any professional closely involved with marine life and organisms.
- Career opportunities: you can find work as an aquaculturist, fishery biologist, environmental consultant, researcher, etc.
- Some of the best universities: Maritime University of India, University of Madras, University of Pondicherry, National Institute of Oceanography
It is a field that combines biology and technology. It uses living organisms like cells and bacteria in the industrial process. Biotechnology professionals work in different areas to improve our lives, including developing cleaner and safer fuels, improving crop yields, improving food production, developing drugs to treat deadly diseases, etc.
- Career opportunities: You can pursue pharmaceutical, health, genetic or clinical research. Many government and private industries in the fields of agriculture, animal husbandry, nutrition, cosmetics, marine biotechnology, environmental conservation and waste management, etc. they hire candidates with degrees in biotechnology. You may also work in sales and marketing, quality control, administration, or as a laboratory assistant or field technician.
- Some of the best universities: Fergusson College, Loyola College, Presidency University, Christ University, Mount Carmel College, Madras Christian College, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Jamia Milia Islamia, Manipal University
This field combines the principles of Physics with those of Biology. Biophysicists study organisms at the cellular and molecular level using the methods and approaches of physics. It is an advancing field, involving state-of-the-art technology, physical measurements, and computational models.
- Career Opportunities: Jobs in this field include becoming a nuclear medical biophysicist, clinical biophysicist, forensic biophysicist, nutritional biophysicist, teacher, etc. One of the main career paths is research, and you can find work as a research scientist in various government and private organizations.
- Some of the best universities: University of Madras, University of Mumbai, University of Punjab, Institute of Medical Sciences of India (AIIMS), Muslim University of Aligarh
It is an applied science that combines different aspects of different disciplines to develop interventions, technology and knowledge in the domain of health. Biomedical scientists work to study how cells, organs, and processes in the human body work, and therefore their work applies to understanding and treating disease.
- Career opportunities: The knowledge and skills gained in this career allow you to work as a biomedical scientist, clinical researcher, forensic scientist, toxicologist, immunologist, and other health professions. It is a relatively new, but rapidly expanding field in India.
- Some of the best universities: University of Delhi and Symbiosis International University. Some institutions offering the course at the graduate level include Dr. B.R Ambedekar Center for Biomedical Research, Vellore Institute of Technology, University of Madras, BIT Mesra, J.J College of Arts and Science, and Jamia Milia Islamia.
Food and Agriculture
This is a broad domain consisting of several fields related to understanding the biological and chemical processes that affect plants, dairy, and food production. It includes fields such as food science and technology, agronomy, horticulture, dairy technology, agricultural engineering, etc.
Career opportunities: Career paths and opportunities for each of these careers are vast. Some of the commons include, process development scientist, product development scientist, agricultural consultant, agricultural manager, research and development, etc. Other opportunities are specific to a particular career, such as a horticulturist, florist, food technologist, dairy technologist, soil scientist, plant scientist, animal nutritionist, etc.
Some of the best universities: Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University, Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth, Andhra University, Anand Agricultural University, Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agricultural Technology and Sciences, Indira Gandhi Agricultural University, Birsa Agricultural University , Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture
If you are truly interested in pursuing a medical career, but don't want to pursue the challenging path of an MBB, then mastering Allied Medicine might be the one for you. This is again a broad domain consisting of different health care careers that are distinct from those of physicians, but that assist physicians in their work.These include a wide range of careers such as physical therapy, audiology, occupational therapy, medical laboratory technology, clinical research, radiology, etc. Career paths, colleges, and opportunities for each of these careers are vast.
- Career opportunities: Career opportunities for each of these careers belong to the specific field, so they are very wide. A common workplace for most of these careers is hospitals. Additionally, pathology laboratories are a privileged workplace for medical laboratory technologists, while physical and occupational therapists may work in clinics or may even establish their own private practice. Radio technicians and optometrists work closely with physicians to facilitate their work. Clinical Researchers work primarily on research projects in laboratories of hospitals, pharmacists and universities. Occupational therapists work individually with clients and patients in various NGOs, special schools, departments of social services, etc. The functions of public health administrators are more related to the management and administration of hospitals and health care systems, and they work mainly with hospitals, government organizations and NGOs.
- Some of the best universities: AIIMS, Jamia Hamdard University (Optometry); Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Public Health (Public Health Administration); Christian Medical College, All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (occupational therapy); Indian Institute of Clinical Research, Asian Institute of Health Sciences (Clinical Research); Christian Medical College, Kasturba Medical College (Radiology); Maulana Azad Medical College, Medical College of the Armed Forces (Audiology); Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Institute for the Physically Handicapped (Physiotherapy).
There are now enough Career options after 12th science PCB to get your mind going in all kinds of exciting directions. We are pretty sure that you will never let the notion of "PCB = medical" enter your mind again!Which of these options attracts you the most best for Career options after 12th science PCB? Share with us in the comments!